The stadium is named after Fanny Blankers-Koen, the best ever Dutch athlete. She won four gold medals at the 1948 Olympic Games and in 2000 was chosen as best athlete of the 20th Century by the international athletics federation.
The FBK Stadion was originally called Stadion Veldwijk, after the sports complex of which it forms a part. As well as being used by athletes, FC Twente football club also has is training grounds at Sportpark Veldwijk. In addition to offering a location for the first team to train, it also accommodates the FC Twente and Heracles joint football academy, as well as a sports hall, a tennis hall and tennis courts. A true metamorphosis is soon to take place as part of the Berflo Es renovation, the district in which FBK Stadion and the sports complex are located.
The stadium was renovated between 2004 and 2005. This renovation included the construction of an 8-lane track, a 400-metre round 4-lane warm-up track outside the stadium, and a new main stand. The new stand, with its 15,000-spectator capacity, was completed just prior to the 2007 FBK Games.
A life-sized statue of Fanny Blankers-Koen stands proudly in front of the stadium. Fanny died in 2004 and in 2007 this bronze statue by artist Antoinette Ruiter was unveiled by Fanny’s son and by British former athlete Sebastian Coe.